caminito-del-rey-2224241_1920 For some people the Caminito del Rey walkway in the Málaga countryside is dramatic enough without adding a group of actors to this mountain ledge attraction that adrenalin junkies love to step out onto. Visitors to the Andalusian landmark site were treated to a rare opportunity to watch 15 actors from an amateur dramatics group in Ardales arrive at the Caminito and perform a production to commemorate the 96th anniversary of the inauguration of the hydroelectric power plant at El Chorro by King Alfonso XIII in 1921. The actors surprised visitors when they appeared in clothing from the period, including a very regal monarch. Instead of a crown, however, he was wearing a regulation safety hard hat, as were all of the cast. The path built around the side of the steep gorge takes its name from this royal visit – Caminito del Rey or King’s Walk. The dramatic reconstruction of the events of that day included the signing ceremony at Sillón del Rey (King’s Chair), which marked the completion of the power plant works, and even included the king’s speech. This scene was followed by the cast taking a walk around the Caminito, as the party would have done in 1921. The troupe included characters portraying Rafael Benjumea, the engineer in charge of the hydroelectric plant, plus the mayor and bishop of Málaga, who were present at the original ceremony. The play was faithful to the reports written at the time, with Alfonso XIII describing the El Chorro works as, “a technological wonder, a pioneer in Spain and Europe”. The group stopped, as documented in 1921, near the dam as Benjumea explained to the King how the works would take supplies of drinking water and electricity to the whole province. The reenactment also highlighted the significance of the El Chorro dam and the Caminito del Rey to the Ardales area. Indeed, the dramatisation of events was organised by Ardales’ town hall and the Caminito management. As Pedro Cantalejo, director of the Ardales Museum explained: “The King’s visit changed and boosted the area both in terms of industry and tourism,” adding.  “The reopening of the renovated path in 2015 again revived this beauty spot and it was fitting to pay tribute to the monarch who gave it its name.”